Wednesday, July 18, 2007

WWJD ... trite, but right


I have to admit, I never jumped on the WWJD bandwagon in the early 90's when "everyone" was wearing these multi-colored bracelets and touting "What Would Jesus Do" as the answer to all of the problems in the world, but I think there is something powerful if we really take this message to heart.
For the past two days I have been in attendance at a Marginalized Ministry Conference. The attendees all are involved in some ministry to marginalized populations (go figure from the title). Some are involved in prisons, others mental hospitals, others homeless shelters. Part of the event is more-or-less group therapy for those that are in attendance. A chance to blow-off steam about their frustrations, to hear others empathize with their pain, and know they aren't alone in their struggles to care for those on the margins of society.
As you might expect there is some conversation about "how to make things better" and much of that conversation has centered around the concept of abolition of the current prison system. Frankly it's not working, there is a ridiculously high recidivism rate, the number of inmates keeps climbing, the costs are prohibitive, and even for the staff at such facilities life isn't good (one attendee mentioned that the average prison guard draws pension for 18 months ... that's not a long life-span after retirement).
As we discussed abolition of the current system one concept kept coming up: to love others. Why does love make such a difference? Think about it, if you love someone you want the best for them. If you love someone, you can forgive a lot more of the things they do. If you love someone, you see them as an individual not as a description (murderer, rapist, drug-addict). Certainly to love someone is easier said than done or is it?
A friend of mine always ends his sermons with the same line, "cling to your faith in the crucified and risen Christ. God loves you, and so do I." I always thought that was a great message, but I could never use it because I couldn't own it. I knew there were people that I couldn't bring myself to love, people that I just didn't like, people that rubbed me the wrong way.
I have spent a few weeks at Napa State Hospital when I arrive in the morning and park my car I say a prayer, "God you have brought me to this place at this time to love the people I encounter. Help me love them." In the few weeks I have been there I have met sex offenders and murderers and I can honestly say, I have loved them. I have put aside my prejudices and labels and sat with them and talked to them. I have learned they are humans in need of love, just like those of us who reside outside the walls of that facility.
I realized that my inability to love some people was really my fear, fear of what they would do to me if I loved them. Well, I have learned what happens when you love people, it softens your heart and provides room for more of God's love.
This past Sunday I preached on the story of the Good Samaritan and had an insight, the story of the Good Samaritan is set-up when one of Jesus' followers asks him, "what must I do to inherit eternal life" and Jesus responds, "love the lord your God with all [you are] ... and love your neighbor as yourself" then the man asks, "but who is my neighbor." This is where Jesus shares the story, but in doing so answers not the question of "who is my neighbor" but "how do I love with all that I am."
So we are faced with the question every day ... What Would Jesus Do? If we are to answer the question honestly we have to say simply, love. If we love, then we don't need the prisons and other institutions that are temples of our fear.

No comments: