Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Privilege

I've been spending my days at the place pictured above. Well, I have to admit, I haven't actually been in that building, but I know where it is on the campus of Napa State Hospital (no, it no longer carries the "for the insane" tag that you might read at the top of the photo). I will spend a total of 10 weeks there doing my Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) basically, I am a chaplain for the summer.

A little background on Napa State Hospital. It is what they call a "Forensic Psychiatric Facility" in a nutshell, there are two parts to the facility, one where people are wards of the state and being treated for mental illness and the other for people who have either been found Not Guilty by reason of Mental Disease or Incompetent to Stand Trial. I spend some time with both groups.

On Monday, while I was eating my lunch (which is provided by the facility) I was realizing how many privileges that I have that I take for granted. My lunch consisted of a Turkey sandwich (over-processed turkey lunch meat, way too much mayonnaise, white bread), potato salad, and cucumber and onion salad. As things went, I couldn't bring myself to eat most of the sandwich, it was just too processed and coated with too much mayo. At that point I realized that I have the privilege to be picky about what I eat. Most of the individuals at Napa State do not have that same privilege (some do have money available that they can buy food from the canteen) and therefore have to eat what is put in front of them. Similarly there are plenty of people who are homeless or can't afford to put food on their tables that would have loved to eat what I had. And there I sat with the privilege to be picky about what I ate.

I know I complain from time to time about my lack of money to do the things I want to do (I think we all do), I complain about the inconvenience to me because I have to do extra work to get something I want, I complain that I have "nothing to wear", or I complain that "everyone" has it better than I do. Hopefully the next time I think of complaining this experience will be a good reminder to me that I really don't have it so bad. I can come and go as I please. I can wear whatever I want (the individuals in the secured section of the facility have lost that privilege and must dress in clothes that are all khaki).

I am reminded however of a privilege that is still afforded to the individuals at Napa State. That is, as the hymn tells us, the "privilege to carry everything to God in prayer." I think I might preach on this very subject when I have the opportunity to lead worship at Napa State. It is a wonderful piece of hope that exists in a place where many don't see much hope in their situation. The sad reality however is that many of us tend to take this privilege (or maybe gift is a better word) for granted too. We, as the hymn says, "forfeit our peace" and "bear needless pain" simply because we don't utilize the gift given to us.

The beautiful thing about the privilege of prayer is that God will never take it away.

No comments: