Sunday, July 22, 2007

Tour de Fat


So, yesterday I experienced a first in my life. I rode in a bike event ... Tour de Fat. I call it an event because I'm frankly not quite sure what it really should be called. It is most definitely not a race (I was near the front of the pack the entire time, that would not be the case in a race, even a short one), I guess it was a benefit since money was being raised for two local bike organizations, I guess it was also an awareness event since there was a lot of discussion about eco-friendliness (or as they call it now "Green"). Nonetheless I rode in it, have the t-shirt to prove, and now am not afraid of doing something like that again (assuming it's not a race).

I found some photos from the event to post, but none really of the ride itself which I can't quite figure out there was no shortage of cameras (or interesting things to take photos of for that matter). I of course was negligent in bringing my own camera, but in my defense a clunky 35mm SLR is not the right camera to carry on a bike ride (so if you're thinking about a Christmas gift for me, oh, sorry shameless plugs come later).

Aside from being a good excuse to get out and ride my bike (because there was a beer tent at the end of the ride, thanks New Belgium Brewery) it was a good day of entertainment. As the website for the event describes it, "2 parts bike rodeo, 1 part circus" the circus part came in an afternoon of side-show style entertainment. There was a goofy trio that did juggling acts (including a chain-saw, bowling ball and egg routine), then there was a really great band called the Asylum Street Spankers that really rocked the park! (they were perfect for San Francisco since their music included drug references, anti-establishment references, and a country-bluegrass-rap feel to it). At this point I wisely decided that the sun had gotten enough of me and I should head home (I have the burn to prove that, too ... but I don't plan to document it through pictures or anything).

No comments: