Thursday, April 3, 2008

Gems from 500 years ago

As a seminarian I get the privilege of doing some pretty cool things. I get to hang out in the afternoon soaking the rays of sunshine while holding a book and attempting to make sense of the words written in its pages. I get to spend hours in class on days when the sun beckons, "skip class, some hang with me." I even have the privilege of regurgitating what little knowledge actually settles into the gray matter between my ears out onto the page (page after page) in hopes that I somehow answer correctly the questions posed by a professor who tends to usually make my head spin with ideas.
Every once in a while though, I come across a nugget in my reading that I just have to share with others. Usually it's a lame quote or a one-liner that makes me re-think my entire existence ... or at best it is a few words strung neatly together that drive a stake through the heart of those I disagree with. Well, tonight, I found a wonderful piece of writing that I just had to share from the Apology to the Augsburg Confession:
...we confess that hypocrites and evil people are mixed together in the church
and that the sacraments are efficacious even though they may be dispensed by
evil ministers, because the ministers act in the place of Christ and so do not
represent their own person.
It's a beautiful thing when you realize that mudslinging language is not merely a creation of the 20th century ... Oh, Philip, you crazy, crazy man. There could be no such thing as an "evil" minister ... but if there were, I sure am glad that it's God's action, and not mine that saves me!
p.s. I just finished a paper for a class, due in 6 hours ... I guess I should get a little sleep before wandering into class, eh?

No comments: