Friday, May 18, 2007

Witness to Change

I have been witness to a lot of changes this year. Some of them are obvious changes, others of them are only there if you look at them. With the school year ending and many of us spending extra time together focusing on how good this year was, how far we have come since first meeting one another, it seems timely that the devotion I read this morning included the following quote: "It is so easy for us to keep people stuck in the place where we first encountered them. We remember where they were physically, emotionally, and spiritually in their journey. Hopefully we have continued to grow and change along the way, but we tend to forget that others will do the same." This devotion is based on Luke 4:14-22 where Jesus reads from Isaiah in the synagogue and after stating that the scripture has been fulfilled, the people say, "isn't this Joseph's son?"

We are quick to be like the people in the synagogue and reference people back to our original image of them. We like putting people in boxes so that we don't have to consider who they may be now (or who they have become).

I am no more reminded of this whenever I visit my 2-year old nephew. Since I don't live in the same city that he does it is often months between visits and each time he grows so much. His personality is developing. The games that I play to entertain him change. Now that I have another nephew and two nieces to add to the fold, I will see even more the ever-changing process that we go through.

Being a very visual person I started thinking of change with the idea of optical illusions as well. As you view the two pictures that I've posted here, you will begin to notice the illusion that comes from perspective. Often when I look at pictures like this I don't see the illusion at first, but once I see it, then I can't seem to go back to what I originally saw. I sometimes think that is more of a detriment. I like being able to measure the difference and see things as they once were, but knowing fully what they are now.

Be the change you wish to see in the World. -Gandhi

Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become. - Anonymous

No comments: