Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Never enough to stay where I need to be ...

This morning I was working on an assignment for my Ethics class, the assignment was to reflect on the "false identities" that keep us from being a disciple. As I began thinking and reflecting, I couldn't help but to focus on the unreal dreams that I had when I was younger, the dream of being an Olympic Hockey star (and of course scoring the winning goal), of being a famous television broadcaster, of being someone great and famous was always the goal, it was never enough to be good and unseen at what I did.

I have to admit in some ways that idea of wanting to be bigger and better continues to plague me. I want to be the one that everyone knows, I want to be the person standing in front of the crowd, I want to be the star.

All of this reflecting, reminded me of a song that was written by Duey Jolivette years ago. Duey was a quirky songwriter, often writing some pretty sappy stuff followed by some pretty ridiculous stuff, but always the kinds of songs that teens of my generation seemed to swallow up at Youth gatherings. The song in particular that rings with me today is called "My Part of the Story" so I leave you with the lyrics to ponder:
So many times I've thought I'd like to change the world
So many times I've wanted to play the lead
Caught in between who I am and wish to be
Trying to find where I'm content to be
So many times it seems my grass is not as green
So much time spent wasted wishing on a dream
But I look around and see there is a place for me
A part in the story that's written just for me
My part of the story may be small
And my part of the story may not have the curtain call
But when the story's done I know there is One
Who loves me as I am
So many times I've wanted a part that's not for me
Never enough to stay where I need to be
And when the story ends maybe few will know my name
But You don't need the fame to love me as I am
My part of the story may be small
And my part of the story may not have the curtain call
But when the story's done I know there is One
Who loves me as I am

2 comments:

Gregory Upole said...

I remember Duey from a gathering in Cleveland. Must have been mid 80's?

RevDrum said...

I got to know Duey in the late 80's but I'm sure he was doing music through much of the decade.