Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Freely We’ve Received …

A few years ago I was introduced to a song by Tim Hughes titled “God of Justice (We Must Go)” and I think it’s safe to say that since that time I’ve not really been the same.

The song comes to mind at some of the most seemingly odd times.  I have been preparing for a sermon series over the next four weeks on the topic of “stewardship” – seems straight forward enough, eh?  Well, as I was pondering what to put on our church’s “movable letter sign” the lyrics to God of Justice again popped into my head.  Particular the lines, “freely we’ve received, not freely we must give.” so I naturally put the line “freely we receive” on the sign.

End of story right? Wrong.

I then decided I wanted to put something on our church Facebook page with the song.  So, I started searching YouTube for videos to the song.  Plenty of them out there.  Problem is that I began to get uncomfortable with the images that were being portrayed in most of the videos.

Now, please hear me clearly on this. 

I was not uncomfortable because the images were of homeless people, people in third-world countries, or those who were obviously in need.  YES, those are legitimate needs that we are called to help take care of.

What bothered me is that as I listened to the song, I realized there are tons of “otherwise normal looking people” who we are called daily to interact with and serve.  But we have a tendency to overlook the “normal” looking folks.  Why? Maybe because we are afraid that if we help them that someone will see that we have needs and will try to help us (heaven forbid we admit our own shortcomings and need for others to help).  Maybe it’s because we assume that “normal” looking people don’t need any help. 

Let’s face it, homeless people who have disheveled clothing and haven’t showered in days simply appear to need help.  Third-world country residents who don’t have food to eat show physical signs of needing our help.  But you and I … everyday people who put on a strong face and hide our wounds and scars, could we possibly need help?

As our congregation, Gloria Dei Lutheran Church in Knoxville, TN continues to listen to God about what part we are called to play in God’s mission, I am becoming more and more convinced that our role is to care for the everyday needs of everyday people.  To breakdown our strong exteriors and be open enough with one another that we can be vulnerable and seek the help we really need.

It starts with the widow who needs companionship asking friends to stop by for tea. It starts with the couple trying to make ends meet financially asking others to pray for financial strength and wisdom. It starts with the grandparent raising their grandchild calling on those around them to help when the stress grows too great.  We need to receive the love and care of our neighbors and then in turn we need to share love and care with those around us.

That’s what I hear today when I hear “freely we’ve received, now freely we must give.”

No comments: