Saturday, August 9, 2008

Feeling Convicted

So, here I sit in a Chicago hotel room as I process the information that has been "downloaded" to my brain in the last two days. I'm at a Mission Developer Training event hosted by the ELCA and I've been having a BLAST, but my head is feeling about like it will explode soon.
I've enjoyed the opportunity to meet face to face some people that I have known only through email or internet bulletin boards up until now. There is something surreal that happens when you meet people that you have a virtual relationship with, it really does shift things. It's not a bad thing, it just helps to really frame things in a more authentic way.
As I sit and process the information (after two very full days of seminars, eating really good food, and a wonderful worship opportunity at Willow Creek Community Church) I can't help but think about one sentence in particular that is running through my head. Someone (might have been a presenter, might have been a participant) asked a seemingly simple question ...
Do we love to tell the story or do we just love the story?
Hmmm ... that's a good point. If you missed the nuance in the sentence above, re-read it here, I'll try to make it obvious... Do we love to tell the story or do we just love the story?
I've had to ask myself, "outside of a worship service, when is the last time you've told the story of Jesus Christ?" I can't say I'm sure I know the answer. Yes, I'm sure I've made vague comments to people, but I'm pretty sure I haven't just sat down and answered any question by saying, "you know, it's about Jesus ... let me tell you about him and what he's done for you." I mean, sure, I'm a Lutheran and we're notorious for not being too out-going and yes, I'm an introvert, but those are simply excuses.
So, here I sit, feeling convicted, feeling like I need to tell the story to someone ...

No comments: