Friday, March 7, 2008

Out of Touch

So, here I sit in California in March. It is beautiful outside (sorry to those of you who are still frozen in your ice caves in the Midwest) and here I sit blogging (where I am usually doing a heap of reading for classes so it's not like I usually get to enjoy the beautiful weather).

I feel a bit out of touch. I was just catching-up on some of the blogs I read (see the links to the right) and discovered that my alma mater's hockey season has drawn to a close. I wish I were more in touch with the pulse of the hockey season, but here in California, it's just not something that is important. When the games aren't on television it's hard for me to remember to check in on the results. I know, I'm a bad fan, but that's life.

I did catch the press conferences of the Brett Favre retirement. It truly is the end of an era. When I was in San Diego celebrating my 9th Wedding Anniversary recently, my wife and I saw a picture of Joe DiMaggio with a quote about how he played each game for the fans. I feel like that was Brett Favre in many ways, he did what he could to make the games fun to watch. I'm not sure there are a lot of players like that anymore. We hear a lot of complaint about how they are "underpaid" (yeah, that's what I think when I wonder if I can afford to buy my 10th vacation home) and how they "deserve" what they get. Whatever happened to the good ol' days when families could afford to go to games (baseball, hockey or otherwise) and watch a good event. Now it's just businesses that can afford the insanely high ticket prices!
I've also attempted to get in contact with people who I fell out of contact with by using this great new tool called Facebook. It's interesting. I don't know that I'm in any better contact with people, but at least some folks I hadn't heard from in years know I am still alive (and if they care to notice, they also know roughly where I live now, too).
In other out of touchness - when did Insurance agents stop being the person I go to when I need to make a claim? A friend borrowed my car yesterday and unfortunately it was broken into when she had it. The annoyance factor in this deal is quite high as she spent nearly 4 hours on the phone yesterday with different people trying to get the window repaired ... then today I spent another 2 hours. We still aren't sure whether or not someone will call to talk about the items that were stolen out of the car! Add to that a terrible experience with the Oakland Police Department ... let's just say unless it's a homicide they don't care.
Well, that's it for now ... hopefully y'all aren't as out of touch as I.

No comments: