Saturday, January 12, 2008

Packing, Bonhoeffer, Packers

I would say it's been a good day. I started the day with a daunting list of tasks, but I've been able to chisel away at them all and accomplish the ones that I needed to finish.
First of all ... on my list of things to do was to watch the Packers womp the Seahawks. For those of you that were cheering for the Seahawks ... what were you thinking? When the Packers come to town, hometown pride has to go out the window. It was a joy to see the Packers for a change this season ... with their usually "early" starts conflicting with worship schedules, I'm usually lucky to catch a few minutes of the game. It was also a joy to watch the snow increase as the game went on ... ah, just like the good ol' days! That's one of the great things that football has over most other professional sports these days ... the element of Mother Nature! Although, I have to admit, it was weird to watch snow when it is very springlike outside.

Before enjoying the Packers, I decided to attend the "National Baby Shower" at a well-known Baby supply store. I've gotta say, I've not attended a lot of baby showers but this one was certainly a disappointment. Where was the food? Where were the gifts? Certainly not at the store ... but I did do some "looking" while there ... got some ideas for things that friends and family can buy for us!

For the last week, I have been immersed in Bonhoeffer's "Discipleship" What a pleasure. I enjoy Dietrich's writing, but more importantly I am inspired by the simplicity of what he is saying. I was annoyed at times that my classmates felt like the simplicity of Bonhoeffer was "idealistic" ... it seems like in a world where everything has to be complicated to be correct, a simple plan of following Jesus is lost in the message. I will continue to ponder my annoyance, maybe it's just that I'm a dreamer ... I just hope I'm not the only one ...
Well, I packed today ... for my trip ... leaving tomorrow morning ... for Israel. I'll be gone two weeks and am looking forward to it. As I've said before, you can put me on an airplane anywhere and I'll be happy, but this is the kind of trip I've been wanting to take for a while. I remember hearing stories of others who have gone to Israel and how amazing of an experience it was for them ... hopefully I can say the same. I'll of course take tons of pictures and hopefully share at least some of them via this blog ... and I'll offer to anyone reading ... if you want me to come do a presentation on Israel, if you put me on the plane ... I'll be there, pictures in hand!
So ... needless to say, I won't be posting for a while. I guess there's a chance of getting internet access while in Israel ... but paying by the hour, I doubt I'll take the time to update things here ... but you just never know.

No comments: